Assignment 2: Policy Brief (19 Points)
The student will write a policy brief related to health care and the effect on nursing practice.
1. Develop a Policy Brief
o Utilize the selected bill from Assignment 1
o Follow the guidelines from Porche (15-11) and Weekly Guide/Week 2
2. The assignment should be one or two pages excluding the title and reference page.
3. Include a minimum of three (3) professional peer-reviewed scholarly journal references to support the brief (review in Ulrich’s
Periodical Directory) and be less than five (5) years old.
4. Include an APA formatted title and reference page.
5. The brief can be single spaced using 12-pt Times New Roman font and one-inch margins.
6. Submit the assignment to Turnitin Direct prior to the final submission, review the Originality Report, and make any needed
7. Submit to the Assignment Drop Box by the posted due date.
Assignment 2: Policy Brief
Students will develop a written Policy Brief utilizing the chosen state or federal bill selected in Assignment 1. A policy brief is a “short document providing findings and recommendations to an audience who may not be experts in an area of interest” which serves to give policy advice (DeMarco & Adams, 2014, p. 209). Nurse leaders can utilize a policy brief to explain a perceived problem to an administrator, constituents, and/or legislators. A policy brief provides a quick snapshot of the problem or the issue and a solution.
Review the section Policy Briefs pp. 300-302 and Box 15-11, in Porche (2019), the journal articles provided in Week 2, and new resources posted below to assist in understanding the intent and the development of a policy brief.
DeMarco, R., & Adams, K. A. (2014). The mechanics of writing a policy brief. Nursing Outlook, 62(3), 219-224.
Students will develop a written Policy Brief addressing the following:
- Introduce the selected state or federal bill used in Assignment 1.
- Provide a summary of the issue or problem related to the chosen state or federal bill selected in Assignment 1.
- Describe the background information related to the issue or problem.
- Include key regulatory and legislative history and any related data.
- Explain policy options or alternatives.
- Include pros and cons of any policy option or alternative, timetable of action, political perspective with policy option and alternative, and political vote count for each policy option if known.
- If not available, please note in the brief.
- Discuss various stakeholder perspectives on each policy option or alternative if available.
- Provide recommended actions.
- The Policy Briefshould be in narrative format and two to three pages in length excluding the title and reference page.
- No introductory paragraph, purpose statement or conclusion is needed for this Policy Brief Assignment.
- Include level 1 and 2 headings to organize the Policy Brief Assignment.
- Include three professional peer-reviewed scholarly journal references to support the paper (review in Ulrich Periodical Directory) and should be less than five years old.
- APA format required (attention to spelling/grammar, title page, reference page, and in-text citations).
- Submit the assignment to Turnitin prior to the final submission, review the originality report, and make any needed changes.
- Submit by the posted due date.
Health Policy Brief Series
Examples of Policy Briefs
Please note, if this relates to your issue or problem, you cannot use the information in these examples.
A Matter of Conscience: Examining the Law and Policy of Conscientious Objection in Health Care
Ensuring Access to Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder
Lack of Payment for Dental Services Leading to Poor Oral Health
Child Mental Health: A Time for Innovation