link to a failure to communicate
• Describe two or more instances of miscommunication in the A Failure to
Communicate (Links to an external site.)
A Failure to Communicate
• Describe two of the six basic principles of effective interpersonal
communication, utilizing Bevan (Section 1.4)
o Here are the principles of competent communication: taking
responsibility for your behavior, trying to achieve shared
meaning, acknowledging multiple views, respecting others and
yourself, listening and evaluating the message before
responding, and learning and practicing your communication
o For further elaboration of these principles, watch one or more
of the videos in the “Resources” box in the top-right corner of
this assignment prompt.
• Explain how the characters in the video follow or do not follow the two
principles identified, utilizing Bevan.
• Explain one or more form(s) of noise from Bevan (Section 1.2) and how it
caused the miscommunication in the video, utilizing Bevan.
o These include physical, physiological, psychological, and
• Discuss how this noise can be overcome, based on advice from Bevan.
The Basic Principles of Effective and Competent Communication paper
• Must be 500 words (two double-spaced pages) in length (not including title
and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style as outlined in
the Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.) resource.
• Must include introduction and conclusion paragraphs.
• Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted