Please view and take notes on It’s a Free Country Video and/or Professor Patterson’s lecture below on Civil Rights and also read the Civil Rights chapter in the textbook.
Patterson Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La9bH58cBwQ
After doing so, answer the following questions:
- Briefly summarize the history of Civil Rights in the United States.
- Next, explain what the ramifications were of the Supreme Court’s 1954 decision in Brown vs Board of Education. How did this expand civil rights in the US.
- Finally, explain the importance of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
Additional resources below:
- Civil Rights Movement
- America’s Civil Rights Timeline
- The Civil Rights Movement in America 1945 to 1968
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Voting Rights Ac (The History Channel)
- Voting Rights Act (The Leadership Conference)
- History of Voting Rights—https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URMb2D3kFZQ
Once you have posted your response, the other students’ responses will appear. Please read over the other students’ response and then reply to at least one classmate. In your replies identify something you had not previously been aware of or something which challenges you to think differently.
Your initial post must be at least 300 words. List all web resources and referenced materials that were used. You must use the APA citation style format in listing references used and in parenthetical citations.